Old 15-08-2004, 02:27 AM
Pam - gardengal

Okay - that's not new at all. Guess I don't really use Dirr as a conifer
reference. :-)And I haven't really kept up with the Xanthocyparis thing - -
I was just coming around to its being Cupressus. And since no one, even in
the trade, refers to them under their new titles, one wonders if they will
go the way of Hylotelephium, Actaea, and a few others renamed items.

pam

"David J Bockman" wrote in message
Hmm...... Not terribly new, I noted it in Dirr's 5th edition of Woodies.
However, it's *really* not catching on at most of the nurseries I

frequent.
Have you read about the Xanthocyparis debacle? P

http://www.botanik.uni-bonn.de/conifers/cu/xa/

Dave

"Pam - gardengal" wrote in message

"David J Bockman" wrote in message
Thuja orientalis, recently renamed to BIOTA ORIENTALIS. Not just the

cones
but the leaves themselves emit a resinous odor when crushed. The

leaves
of
the similar appearing Thuja occidentalis emit a 'tansy' odor when

crushed.
The hooks and smell make for easy differentation.

Great! First Platycladus, then Thuja, now Biota - wish those taxonomists
would give it a rest. Job security, I guess :-)) So how new is this

name?

pam - gardengal