Old 15-08-2004, 02:04 PM
Broadback

Rod wrote:

On Sat, 14 Aug 2004 23:14:33 +0100, "r.p.mcmurphy"
wrote:

hi all, i have a small piece of land that has been called the orchard since
1826 but it has no apple trees now...it has been lawned and under used for
years. id like to grow some apple trees on it again...but the apples have
to be red skined and crisp like an empire or a braeburn or my other half
wont eat them! any sugestions?

ta

steve

See if she likes Discovery - it'll be in the shops anytime now. It's
an early apple (first of the season for us) it doesn't keep but it
holds well on the tree so you can pick it over 2 or 3 weeks, red one
side, greenish the other, crisp if freshly picked, not overly sweet,
unique flavour - you like it or you don't. On a dwarfing stock it's
absolutely reliable, wonderful crop of lovely looking apples every
year.
Rod

Weed my address to reply

There is no rush as they are best planted bare rooted in the Winter. I
would wait untill apple days start, then take the fussy one and select
apples she likes. There is such a wide range, and all do not grow in
all parts of the uk, so take advice from the tree suppliers, they love
to talk about their trees.

You also have to consider which pollinates which, as you seem to have
space for a number of trees that does not sound like a problem. When
you have taken all the advice nurtured your trees for a few years then
anticipate your first crop, I hope that unlike me you don't find the
wasps have scoffed them first. Ah well next year...

--
Please do not reply by Email, as all
emails to this address are automatically deleted.