Old 15-08-2004, 05:55 PM
Timothy

On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 18:07:52 +0000, David Glass wrote:

I have removed several old shrubs from my yard. However, I can't stop the
stumps from re-sprouting. Ideas?

Thanks, DG

There are two options to rid yourself of these shrubs. The first one is to
dig up the stumps, thus removing the stored food supply.

The second, and less earth friendly way, is to drill a hole or two into
the top of the stump. A half inch to one inch hole will do. I use a drill
bit called a paddle bit. Works very well and is rather cheap. Take a
systemic herbicide, mix as directed for woody plants, and fill the holes
3/4 of the way up. Plug the holes if possible. I use cheap table candles,
jam them into the holes and break off the candle. The wax will create a
seal and keep the stump from expelling out the herbicide. With in two
weeks the stumps should be done resprouting. If not, re-do the process.

Good luck......