Old 13-08-2004, 07:07 PM
David Glass

Default Removing Old Shrubs

I have removed several old shrubs from my yard. However, I can't stop the
stumps from re-sprouting. Ideas?

Thanks, DG

Old 13-08-2004, 07:41 PM
Pam - gardengal

"David Glass" wrote in message
I have removed several old shrubs from my yard. However, I can't stop the
stumps from re-sprouting. Ideas?

Thanks, DG

Dig out the stumps.

Old 13-08-2004, 10:16 PM
Stephen M. Henning

"David Glass" wrote:

I have removed several old shrubs from my yard. However, I can't stop the
stumps from re-sprouting. Ideas?

This is a problem with many woody plants. They store sugars in their
roots and until this is exhausted or the roots are removed, they will
keep trying to send up shoots. Plants that are girdled and allowed to
die will not do this. But it may take several years to kill a plant
this way. I did it to walnut trees and it took 3 years, but when they
died, they didn't send up shoots. Also, you can use chemicals like
roundup on the green shoots and this will kill the roots. The other
option is to dig up the roots.

--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
http://home.earthlink.net/~rhodyman
Old 13-08-2004, 11:16 PM
Bill Spohn

Also, you can use chemicals like
roundup on the green shoots and this will kill the roots.

I wish it were so - in the case of laurel. Keep on digging/spraying and 5 years
later the damned stuff still crops up.
Old 14-08-2004, 03:09 AM
zxcvbob

Bill Spohn wrote:
Also, you can use chemicals like
roundup on the green shoots and this will kill the roots.

I wish it were so - in the case of laurel. Keep on digging/spraying and 5 years
later the damned stuff still crops up.

That means you are using the wrong chemical. The forest services use
Garlon. Do a google search for "garlon, buckthorn" (without the
quotation marks), and substitute full strength Brush B-Gon if you can't
find Garlon or Crossbow.

Bob

Old 14-08-2004, 03:54 PM
Stephen M. Henning

zxcvbob wrote:

Bill Spohn wrote:
Also, you can use chemicals like
roundup on the green shoots and this will kill the roots.

I wish it were so - in the case of laurel. Keep on digging/spraying and 5
years
later the damned stuff still crops up.

That means you are using the wrong chemical. The forest services use
Garlon. Do a google search for "garlon, buckthorn" (without the
quotation marks), and substitute full strength Brush B-Gon if you can't
find Garlon or Crossbow.

If such an herbicide doesn't work as a spray, paint it on the leaves at
full strength. Paint both sides of the leaves. When Brush B-Gon was
made of 2,4-T (agent orange) I would still apply it with a brush at full
strength on things such as laurel.

Old 15-08-2004, 05:55 PM
Timothy

On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 18:07:52 +0000, David Glass wrote:

I have removed several old shrubs from my yard. However, I can't stop the
stumps from re-sprouting. Ideas?

Thanks, DG

There are two options to rid yourself of these shrubs. The first one is to
dig up the stumps, thus removing the stored food supply.

The second, and less earth friendly way, is to drill a hole or two into
the top of the stump. A half inch to one inch hole will do. I use a drill
bit called a paddle bit. Works very well and is rather cheap. Take a
systemic herbicide, mix as directed for woody plants, and fill the holes
3/4 of the way up. Plug the holes if possible. I use cheap table candles,
jam them into the holes and break off the candle. The wax will create a
seal and keep the stump from expelling out the herbicide. With in two
weeks the stumps should be done resprouting. If not, re-do the process.

Good luck......