Old 15-08-2004, 11:25 PM
lammas lammas is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbeam
I have a pestilence of small (up to 6mm long) silvery white worms and tiny
brown flying thingies in a bag of potting compost. Any idea what these
might be please? I suspect they might be fungus gnats according to what
I've read.

More importantly, any suggestions on how to be rid of the wretched things.
Problem is that I potted up a few seedlings a while back and the compost is
wriggling with the little blighters.

Many thanks

Sunbeam.
Use Neem oil - it works. As it's not a chemical insecticde they don't die overnight so you need to use it regularly. Drench the compost weekly or fortnightly and they will normally be dead after the second drench. Ditto sciarid fly. A couple more treatments will also wipe out your populations of Chafer grub, Leatherjacket, Wireworm and Vine weevil larvae. Any oil left over spray on foliage; it kills everything except beneficial insects and hard scale insects.