Old 28-07-2004, 05:04 PM
Sunbeam

Default Small white/silver worms in potting compost - fungus gnat? Help plse

I have a pestilence of small (up to 6mm long) silvery white worms and tiny
brown flying thingies in a bag of potting compost. Any idea what these
might be please? I suspect they might be fungus gnats according to what
I've read.

More importantly, any suggestions on how to be rid of the wretched things.
Problem is that I potted up a few seedlings a while back and the compost is
wriggling with the little blighters.

Many thanks

Sunbeam.

Old 15-08-2004, 11:25 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbeam
I have a pestilence of small (up to 6mm long) silvery white worms and tiny
brown flying thingies in a bag of potting compost. Any idea what these
might be please? I suspect they might be fungus gnats according to what
I've read.

More importantly, any suggestions on how to be rid of the wretched things.
Problem is that I potted up a few seedlings a while back and the compost is
wriggling with the little blighters.

Many thanks

Sunbeam.
Use Neem oil - it works. As it's not a chemical insecticde they don't die overnight so you need to use it regularly. Drench the compost weekly or fortnightly and they will normally be dead after the second drench. Ditto sciarid fly. A couple more treatments will also wipe out your populations of Chafer grub, Leatherjacket, Wireworm and Vine weevil larvae. Any oil left over spray on foliage; it kills everything except beneficial insects and hard scale insects.
Old 26-08-2004, 10:36 PM
Registered User

Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by lammas
Use Neem oil - it works. As it's not a chemical insecticde they don't die overnight so you need to use it regularly. Drench the compost weekly or fortnightly and they will normally be dead after the second drench. Ditto sciarid fly. A couple more treatments will also wipe out your populations of Chafer grub, Leatherjacket, Wireworm and Vine weevil larvae. Any oil left over spray on foliage; it kills everything except beneficial insects and hard scale insects.
Just to confirm what lammas wrote; it works but dont expect the magic bullet. You need to use it regularly but on the plus side it's totally safe. When I lived in India the gardeners would use it for everything and insects out there are like on steroids! When I moved back to the UK nobody seemed to have heard of it but I've just found it on a site called www.gardenknowledge.co.uk so hope this is of help to anybody reading this post.
Peter Black
Old 27-08-2004, 07:12 PM
Tumbleweed

"PeterBlack" wrote in message

lammas Wrote:
[...]

yeh right, thats the site that states that neem oil is
"The alternative to chemicals"

So its not a chemical? hmmmmmmm...

--
Tumbleweed

tumbleweednews at hotmail dot com

Small white/silver worms in potting compost - fungus gnat? Help plse Sunbeam United Kingdom 0 25-07-2004 04:03 PM
Plse identify this tree.... Jim Caldwell Gardening 7 01-05-2004 09:02 PM
Gnat Question stricks760 Ponds 29 25-03-2004 02:19 PM
How do I kill gnat eggs in indoor soil, organically? Melissa Gardening 22 27-10-2003 06:02 PM
gnat hell minerva nine Texas 2 05-04-2003 11:09 AM