Old 11-08-2004, 05:08 AM
Fakhina Sohl

dave weil wrote in message . ..
On 10 Aug 2004 01:42:37 -0700, (Fakhina Sohl)
wrote:

Pruning just makes 'em angry. So, early this winter, I
gave them all a good hacking, back well into old wood ...
They're all sprouting furiously now (to teach me a
lesson).

See, it's a matter of perception. Pruning makes *you* angry.

Oh no, not at all. After having my clothes snagged once too many, from
trying to walk past an enthusiastic rose bush, there's not many things
more satisfying than attacking it with the secateurs. Ha! That will
teach it!

NB - read most of my ramblings with an implied ;-) emoticon. I pruned
the roses back this winter to encourage them. I'm just attributing
their (expected and desired) response to malice and revenge, because
they're inherently evil plants.

As my wife says, roses are like cats. They're beautiful, they're nice
to have around, and they've got claws to shred you with if you don't
treat them nicely. Or even if you do treat them nicely. I have a
love-hate relationship with our cat, too :-)

Pruning makes roses *happy*. Once you understand this,
you'll be better off, if not your arms, legs, neck, etc.

Indeed. I found that out the first time I pruned my healthy
arbor-climbing rose, in an attempt to get it back in control. That's
why I ask - is there any way to stunt the growth of my rose without
making it happy and enthusiastic (and vengeful - evil plant ;-)),
which is counterproductive to my purposes?

Thanks for the answers so far.

fs