Old 16-08-2004, 12:53 PM
jane

On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 21:54:04 GMT, "Matthew Durkin"
wrote:

~Hi All,
~I recently purchased my first hoya plant (I don't think it will be my
~last!). I love the lush foliage, and am looking forward to the highly
~scented flowers that I'm lead to believe they get (mine had 2 tags -
~australis and carnosa - difficult to distinguish I think before flower,
~though I think it's an autralis).

My best advice is DON'T place the plant over upholstery, carpets or
nice wooden surfaces.

Those flowers drip lots of sticky nectar, onto the leaves (which then
go black with sooty mould) and onto everything below, and I'm sure you
won't want to ruin your carpets. It's a total nuisance for this.

Mine is about 10' long and in the tiled conservatory. The flowers pong
at night like cat pee.

Don't deadhead the flower stalks as the next flush grows on the same
stalk.

Clean leaves regularly with clean water and a sponge.

~
~I have a few of questions:
~Does anyone know where I could buy hoya seeds in the UK? Can't seem to find
~anyone with a range of different seeds. I like growing things from seed so
~any advice here much appreciated!
~Failing the seeds, does anyone know any place in the UK with a good range of
~plants?

I'm tempted to say you can have mine (a carnosa I think) and welcome.
It's got to the point of having 20-30 flower clusters per flush, and
I'm sick of cleaning up after it. You anywhere near the Chilterns?

~Also, if anyone has a Hoya macgillivrayi and wouldn't mind taking a cutting
~for me please let me know!! It has wonderful big purple flowers and is
~nicely scented.
~I've also been looking for books on hoyas. Can't seem to find any at a
~reasonable price - advice here much appreciated also.
~Finally - what is everyone's favourite hoya? Seems they're not that comon so
~I'd be interested to know if there are any fellow hoya fans out there...

I like the flowers - but think mine was crossed with a triffid.

--
jane

Mark Twain