Old 16-08-2004, 01:05 PM
curiosity

On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 22:22:31 +0100, Sacha
wrote:

On 15/8/04 10:39, in article ,
"curiosity" [email protected] wrote:

On Sat, 14 Aug 2004 23:17:30 +0100, "David Hill"
wrote:

Nice to get an easy set.

I'm a complete dunce so you can more or less rely on further easy sets. But
many thanks - leafing through a tome of often unreliable pictures is no joy.

1. Anemone X Hybrida
2. Ornamental Sage -- Try the scent of the leaf to find out which
3. Solanium jasminoides alba
4. Plumbago

The leaf of the ornamental sage certainly smells sagey - I wouldn't be able to
differentiate. Is a botanical name that I can check in my readers digest
book?
For the moment I just need to know when and how to prune?

I asked Ray to have a look at this - we sell a lot of Salvias. In response,
he showed me a lot of pages in the Plant Finder! He thinks - thinks - it's
one of the S. greggii group but there are so many within each group that
without seeing it, it's hard to pin down.
To illustrate the problems in identifying different Salvias you might like
to amuse yourself one day by looking at the Plant Finder. Our current
edition starts on page 666 and finishes on page 672!
They're fabulous plants, IMO.

thank you Sacha, checking 'salvia' my RD encycl. suggested a reasonable likeness
to an iffy picture of S.neurepia, then a google image search revealed this
picture which appears to be spot-on.

http://www.duke.edu/~cwcook/pix/samineurepia.jpg

I'll take a look at the Plant Finder at the next opportunity.