Old 16-08-2004, 09:25 AM
Martin Brown

In message , Matthew Durkin
writes

Failing the seeds, does anyone know any place in the UK with a good range of
plants?

Your local branch of the British Cacti and Succulent Society is likely
to contain someone who grows them (or knows someone who does). I have a
small H. carnosa. They sell well in flower so I'd expect them to be
available at reasonable prices when/if the branch has a sale day to the
public.

Also, if anyone has a Hoya macgillivrayi and wouldn't mind taking a cutting
for me please let me know!! It has wonderful big purple flowers and is
nicely scented.

I don't have that one. Citrus trees in flower are hard to beat for
perfume at this time of year.

I've also been looking for books on hoyas. Can't seem to find any at a
reasonable price - advice here much appreciated also.

There used to be a book by Kloppenburg, D "Phillipine Hoya Species" for
about £10. It may be out of print. K & Wayman "The Hoya Handbook" is
about £25. Whitestone nurseries might have the books, but I don't think
he grows (m)any hoyas.

Finally - what is everyone's favourite hoya? Seems they're not that comon so
I'd be interested to know if there are any fellow hoya fans out there...

I have only bothered to grow H. carnosa. It's a nice enough plant. The
flowers recur on old flower heads so never tidy them up. It is a bit of
a martyr to mealy bug too. If there are any about they will be on it.

Regards,
--
Martin Brown