Old 16-08-2004, 10:01 PM
Kay

In article , Roz Lacey
writes
We had a beautiful tree which was festooned with beautiful bright red
apples. It really was beautiful to see. Yuk ! to taste, they were
dreadful and I could not give them away - it was blown over in a mini
hurricane. Certainly was an eye catcher though. I am amazed to see there
are so many types of Russets, which are my favourite. Which is the most
flavoursome ? and easy to grow?. I live in the southernmost part of UK.

Rosemary Russett seems to be generally well spoken of.
I grow Brownlees Russet which crops reliably for me in Yorkshire and has
beautiful deep pink flowers.

BTW - the convention in this group is bottom posting, and if you top
post, it messes up the order of the replies.

"Sue da Nimm" . wrote in message
We have Katy and think it's wonderful.
Fruit looks stunning on the tree - vivid red all over.
We get a heavy crop of decent-sized fruit which are crisp and have a
wonderful flavour.
(We also grow Cox, Spartan, Gala and Ida. Cox is tops for flavour but Katy
is second favourite.)

"nambucca" wrote in message
yes lovely apples but the wasps love them before they are even ripe
........my entire tree has been devoured by the wasps and now they are
starting on the cooking apples !!!

Spartan is a super apple .......very late picker ......keeps fairly well
does not get attacked by wasps
very crisp and deep red but not the tang of braeburns

--
Kay