Old 17-08-2004, 04:20 PM
GOOD GOLLY MISS mOLLY

"Malcolm" wrote in message

In article , Sam
writes

"sfc" wrote in message
Hi

My nasturtiums has been atatcked with loads of caterpillars. They are
yello-green with black spots. Any idea what these caterpillars will

turn
into? Thanks. Feung

I think they are cabbage whites, at least the ones on our nastursiums are
the same as some of the ones shredding our cabbages.

The term "cabbage white" actually refers to three different species,
Large White, Small White and Green-veined White. The caterpillars of all
three species feed on cabbages and most other brassicas, and also on
nasturtiums, among other plants.

Yellow-green caterpillars with prominent black spots along the back are
Large White. The other two are both green with small yellow spots with
dark centres along the sides, the main distinction being that Small
White caterpillars live in groups, like Large White, while Green-veined
White caterpillars are usually solitary.

End of biology lesson!

Mine have all been eaten too but I don't care. I enjoyed them while I had
them and next, I will enjoy the butterflies.