Old 18-08-2004, 01:20 AM
Ann

"Kaygee" expounded:

It is so tall that I am concerned it may fall on the house in a storm, but I
don't want to lose the privacy it gives. Can I have it cut to half its
height? How long would it last if it were cut.

What makes you think it will fall on the house? The only way it would
do that is if it broke, which is doubtful, unless it's diseased.
Hickories are extremely deeply rooted, just try pulling a seedling out
of the ground once it has four leaves or so! You'll ruin the shape
completely if you cut it (or pollard it, I hate it when trees are
butchered that way).
--
Ann, Gardening in zone 6a
Just south of Boston, MA