Old 18-08-2004, 12:52 AM
Kaygee

Default Shagbark Hickory

It is so tall that I am concerned it may fall on the house in a storm, but I
don't want to lose the privacy it gives. Can I have it cut to half its
height? How long would it last if it were cut.

Old 18-08-2004, 01:20 AM
Ann

"Kaygee" expounded:

It is so tall that I am concerned it may fall on the house in a storm, but I
don't want to lose the privacy it gives. Can I have it cut to half its
height? How long would it last if it were cut.

What makes you think it will fall on the house? The only way it would
do that is if it broke, which is doubtful, unless it's diseased.
Hickories are extremely deeply rooted, just try pulling a seedling out
of the ground once it has four leaves or so! You'll ruin the shape
completely if you cut it (or pollard it, I hate it when trees are
butchered that way).
--
Ann, Gardening in zone 6a
Just south of Boston, MA
Old 18-08-2004, 01:43 PM
J Kolenovsky

It is a native tree for your area. It will be just fine and you won't
have to worry about it. It is a hardwood tree that withstands high
winds.

Kaygee wrote:
=

It is so tall that I am concerned it may fall on the house in a storm, =

but I
don't want to lose the privacy it gives. Can I have it cut to half its=

height? How long would it last if it were cut.

-- =

Celestial Habitats by J. Kolenovsky
=F4=BF=F4 - http://www.celestialhabitats.com - business. Quoted by the Ho=
uston
Chronicle Lazy Gardener as 1 of 7 best gardening websites in Houston.
=F4=BF=F4 - http://www.hal-pc.org/~garden/personal.html - personal
Old 18-08-2004, 07:36 PM
David J Bockman

I envy you your tree-- shagbark hickory is absolutely stunning.

Dave

.. .

Old 19-08-2004, 12:13 AM
Mike LaMana

Almost certainly better to remove the tree if it is a hazard than "...cut it
to half its height."
Have a professional consulting arborist (see ASCA
http://www.asca-consultants.org/directory/index.cfm)
for a professional in your area. Good luck.
--
Mike LaMana, MS
Heartwood Consulting Services, LLC

"Kaygee" wrote in message
.. .
It is so tall that I am concerned it may fall on the house in a storm, but

don't want to lose the privacy it gives. Can I have it cut to half its
height? How long would it last if it were cut.

[IMG] code is On

Hickory? Russell W. Patterson Plant Science 4 17-06-2004 05:07 PM
Hickory, red oak timbers, lumber - trade for windows or other Mike North Carolina 0 14-11-2003 01:02 PM
Hickory nuts Phisherman Gardening 1 07-10-2003 04:02 AM
Hickory for sale Mike North Carolina 2 24-07-2003 06:12 PM