Old 04-02-2003, 03:02 PM
BenignVanilla

Default Help a Lazy Ponder Out?

Awesome...thanks for quelling my laziness.

BV.

"Bill and Nancy Weiler" wrote in message
Theron wrote:

On Mon, 3 Feb 2003 14:41:09 -0500, "BenignVanilla"
wrote:

OK, before you flame me for this question...I admit I am lazy and

should be
able to come with this myself, but I am lazy, so I'll ask here first,
because I am lazy. Did I mention I am lazy?

Does anyone know the volume for, or the equation for calculating the

volume
of a pipe per foot of pipe? IE, one foot section of 2'' pipe holds x

number
of gallons of water. I want to calculate this for various size pipes.

Here is a web page that has a chart of the amounts of water per foot.

http://www.thermidaire.on.ca/charts/pgw.html

Haven't gone to the web page but the formula is rather easy. All
measurements must be in ft (i.e. 1 inch is 1/12 ft). Then the volume of
the pipe (a cylinder) is given by the formula V = pi(3.14) X radius
squared. Radius is 1/2 diameter. This gives the volume in cubic feet
of water. To convert to gal multiply by 7.5. So for a 2 inch diameter
pipe (radius = 1 inch) one foot long. Volume (in gal) = (1/12)sq X 3.14
X 1 ft X 7.5 In this example this equals 0.16 gal.

Another example: Volume in gal of a pipe 10 ft long and 10 inches in
diameter

V = (5/12)squared X 3.14 X 10 X 7.5 = 41 gal

Should you ever need the weight of the water (in lbs) in the pipe, just
multiply the volume in gal by 8.33.

This is probably more than you wanted to know.

Bill
--
Bill and Nancy Weiler
Tony, Wisconsin