Old 21-08-2004, 11:48 AM
Kay

In article , Helen
writes

The last I heard from there was the maximum temperature was about

8deg.cel. and the minimum -1 or -2. This is of course late winter. The soil
is very shallow and rocky.

Most of the UK is colder than that in winter! (Where I am, about half
way up the country if that, we frequently go below -5 at night, and have
periods where it doesn't come up much above 0 for several days - ponds
can remain frozen for days on end). So from the point of hardiness you
don't have a problem - if it's marked as hardy for the UK, it should be
OK in Tasmania. Where you have a problem is the shallow soil - so things
which ask for a deep moist soil might be a problem.

I think Tasmania also has higher rainfall, doesn't it?

I'm presuming that your max temperature also refers to winter - what are
summer temperatures like?

--
Kay