Old 23-08-2004, 12:11 AM
Helen

"Kay" wrote in message
In article , Helen
writes

The last I heard from there was the maximum temperature was about

8deg.cel. and the minimum -1 or -2. This is of course late winter. The

soil
is very shallow and rocky.

Most of the UK is colder than that in winter! (Where I am, about half
way up the country if that, we frequently go below -5 at night, and have
periods where it doesn't come up much above 0 for several days - ponds
can remain frozen for days on end). So from the point of hardiness you
don't have a problem - if it's marked as hardy for the UK, it should be
OK in Tasmania. Where you have a problem is the shallow soil - so things
which ask for a deep moist soil might be a problem.

I think Tasmania also has higher rainfall, doesn't it?

I'm presuming that your max temperature also refers to winter - what are
summer temperatures like?

--
Kay
Thank you for your advice re hardy plants. I have relations in Crewe,

which may have the same temperatures as yours., and have a lovely garden-
btw they have had a horrible summer this year - nothing except raspberries
grew! In Tasmania's mainland it can become very hot in summer, and they have
dreadful bushfires in some years. In those little islands off the south
coast, the temperatures reamin fairly cool, even in the summer, with only
an occasional 'heatwave' with the temperature hitting the early 20s.