Old 23-08-2004, 04:45 PM
Victoria Clare

Default Removal of vast phormium

In my garden is what was clearly once a small, 'architectural' plant .

It's now a vast, pointy monster reaching out its spears to impale anyone
coming up the drive. Currently it is covered in weird fruit like small
black bananas.

The time is finally approaching when I shall have to take up my spade and
get rid of the damn thing while we can still get the car past it.

Anyone done this? Any tips? The plant is right next to our calor gas
tank, so I think it will have to be done by hand (fortunately, it is well
clear of the pipes, but it's probably too close to the tank foundations to
risk using a mechanical digger).

If I just cut it down to ground level, will that finish it off, or will it
bounce back? Can you use 'root out' on phormiums ?

Victoria