Old 23-08-2004, 04:45 PM
Victoria Clare

Default Removal of vast phormium

In my garden is what was clearly once a small, 'architectural' plant .

It's now a vast, pointy monster reaching out its spears to impale anyone
coming up the drive. Currently it is covered in weird fruit like small
black bananas.

The time is finally approaching when I shall have to take up my spade and
get rid of the damn thing while we can still get the car past it.

Anyone done this? Any tips? The plant is right next to our calor gas
tank, so I think it will have to be done by hand (fortunately, it is well
clear of the pipes, but it's probably too close to the tank foundations to
risk using a mechanical digger).

If I just cut it down to ground level, will that finish it off, or will it
bounce back? Can you use 'root out' on phormiums ?

Victoria
Old 23-08-2004, 05:03 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Victoria Clare writes:
| In my garden is what was clearly once a small, 'architectural' plant .
|
| It's now a vast, pointy monster reaching out its spears to impale anyone
| coming up the drive. Currently it is covered in weird fruit like small
| black bananas.
|
| The time is finally approaching when I shall have to take up my spade and
| get rid of the damn thing while we can still get the car past it.
|
| Anyone done this? Any tips? The plant is right next to our calor gas
| tank, so I think it will have to be done by hand (fortunately, it is well
| clear of the pipes, but it's probably too close to the tank foundations to
| risk using a mechanical digger).

Don't use explosives?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 23-08-2004, 06:43 PM
Robert

: get rid of the damn thing while we can still get the car past it.
:
: Anyone done this? Any tips? The plant is right next to our calor gas
: tank, so I think it will have to be done by hand (fortunately, it is well
: clear of the pipes, but it's probably too close to the tank foundations to
: risk using a mechanical digger).
:
:
: If I just cut it down to ground level, will that finish it off, or will it
: bounce back? Can you use 'root out' on phormiums ?

Yes I have done it ....and it transferred successfully and is growing well
on the allotments. I dug around the outer edges with a sharp spade and then
gradually eased the thing up, all around the base with a Devon spade as it
has more leverage. With a fair bit of effort it eventually came up and I
transplanted smaller off cuts (cut off with a spade) with roots, having
trimmed the top

Old 23-08-2004, 09:10 PM
Rod

Isn't there a free removal service down there? In Llandudno you get
Phormiums and Cordylines removed free of charge. Can't give you a
contact address, they're a bit shy and only seem to work at night.
Unfortunately they seem to prefer removing newly planted ones.
Rod

Weed my address to reply

Old 24-08-2004, 07:52 AM
Charlie Pridham

"Victoria Clare" wrote in message
.217...
In my garden is what was clearly once a small, 'architectural' plant .

It's now a vast, pointy monster reaching out its spears to impale anyone
coming up the drive. Currently it is covered in weird fruit like small
black bananas.

The time is finally approaching when I shall have to take up my spade and
get rid of the damn thing while we can still get the car past it.

Anyone done this? Any tips? The plant is right next to our calor gas
tank, so I think it will have to be done by hand (fortunately, it is well
clear of the pipes, but it's probably too close to the tank foundations to
risk using a mechanical digger).

If I just cut it down to ground level, will that finish it off, or will it
bounce back? Can you use 'root out' on phormiums ?

Victoria

As you seem to want rid of it the easiest way is piecemeal, I find a sharp
spade and a lump hammer best, using the spade like a large chisel by
knocking it in so as to cut off 6" sized lumps. You have the advantage if
not wanting to keep it of being able to clear the decks so to speak before
you start (cut all the leaves off!) If you want something similar but
smaller, many of the bright coloured leafed clones around are a lot smaller
and slower growing. there are also some quite bright cordylines.

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 24-08-2004, 09:54 AM
Victoria Clare

"Robert" wrote in
:

: get rid of the damn thing while we can still get the car past it.
:
: Anyone done this? Any tips? The plant is right next to our calor
: gas tank, so I think it will have to be done by hand

Yes I have done it ....and it transferred successfully and is growing
well on the allotments. I dug around the outer edges with a sharp
spade and then gradually eased the thing up, all around the base with
a Devon spade as it has more leverage. With a fair bit of effort it
eventually came up.

What was the surrounding soil like, Robert? Mine is pretty stony and
packed with other plants -I'm not sure how easy it's going to be to get a
spade into it...

Were there big chunky roots or just a mass of little ones?

How far down did you trim the top?

Rod mentioned the North Wales 'removal service'. Maybe I should advertise
big phormium free to good home in the paper. Actually, forget the good
home. Free to home, anyone's except mine....

Victoria
--
gardening on a north-facing hill
in South-East Cornwall
Old 24-08-2004, 06:50 PM
Robert

Victoria Clare wrote:
: "Robert" wrote in
: :
:
::
::: get rid of the damn thing while we can still get the car past it.
:::
[...]
: --
: gardening on a north-facing hill
: in South-East Cornwall

They are a mass of smallish roots similar in size to rose roots but not as
tough. My soil was quite light where it was. You can trim the top of any
bits you want to root, to say .. a foot. I wouldn't trim it first as you
want something to get hold of

Old 25-08-2004, 09:35 AM
Victoria Clare

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in
:

If you want something similar but
smaller, many of the bright coloured leafed clones around are a lot
smaller and slower growing. there are also some quite bright
cordylines.

Thanks - I don't think I shall be replacing it though - there are a whole
bunch of nice smaller things growing around it already - if I just can
remove enough root to stop it growing back, they will very quickly rush
together and join up over the gap. That border must have been very densely
planted even when the plants were young...

I should have said that I do quite like the phormium - it's a majestic-
looking thing and has put up a great display of flowers this year. It's
just in completely the wrong place (which probably makes it a weed!).

I don't really have an ideal spot for it (most of my garden is pretty
shady/ woodlandy) or I'd try to move it rather than eliminate it.

Victoria