Old 23-08-2004, 06:43 PM
Robert

: get rid of the damn thing while we can still get the car past it.
:
: Anyone done this? Any tips? The plant is right next to our calor gas
: tank, so I think it will have to be done by hand (fortunately, it is well
: clear of the pipes, but it's probably too close to the tank foundations to
: risk using a mechanical digger).
:
:
: If I just cut it down to ground level, will that finish it off, or will it
: bounce back? Can you use 'root out' on phormiums ?

Yes I have done it ....and it transferred successfully and is growing well
on the allotments. I dug around the outer edges with a sharp spade and then
gradually eased the thing up, all around the base with a Devon spade as it
has more leverage. With a fair bit of effort it eventually came up and I
transplanted smaller off cuts (cut off with a spade) with roots, having
trimmed the top