Old 23-08-2004, 08:20 PM
Charles Turner

Nick,

Thanks, but as the plant has well overgrown the pergola should I cut it back
to well below what I want the final coverage to be to allow (estimate) for
next years growth or is it possible to cut it as it grows next year?

Regards,

Charles

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

In article ,
"Charles Turner" writes:

| I've got an ornamental grapevine, now in its third year and it has gone
| berserk covering the whole of our pergola.
|
| I need to cut it back, any advice as to the best time of year to do it?

After the leaves drop and before midwinter. You can pinch out
or otherwise remove very young shoots, but don't prune it hard
from late winter to autumn, or it will bleed.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.