Old 24-08-2004, 04:58 AM
Alan Walker

Davis: It would help if you mentioned in what area you live,
because a good beginner tree in Detroit might be a disaster in
Miami (or Johannesburg or Lima or London). You get the picture.
We have people from around the globe on this, so we don't have
any way of knowing unless you tell us.
That said, a pretty good beginner tree for bonsai in most
any area is Ficus or elm. Ficus because it grows fast and
tolerates being indoor in the winter (if you happen to live where
it freezes). Elm because it is also quite hardy in most any
climate. Both produce a lot of foliage, so you have a lot to
work with and can come away with a decent looking bonsai fairly
soon.
Another reason to share your general location is that we
can often recommend a nearby bonsai club and/or vendor where you
can get local advice, experience and ideas.
Alan Walker