Old 24-08-2004, 02:34 AM
Registered User

Question begginer in need of help

what would be a good tree to start off with ? i want to grow a bonsai tree but i need to choose a tree that would be good for some one really inexpeirenced.

- Davis
Old 24-08-2004, 04:58 AM
Alan Walker

Davis: It would help if you mentioned in what area you live,
because a good beginner tree in Detroit might be a disaster in
Miami (or Johannesburg or Lima or London). You get the picture.
We have people from around the globe on this, so we don't have
any way of knowing unless you tell us.
That said, a pretty good beginner tree for bonsai in most
any area is Ficus or elm. Ficus because it grows fast and
tolerates being indoor in the winter (if you happen to live where
it freezes). Elm because it is also quite hardy in most any
climate. Both produce a lot of foliage, so you have a lot to
work with and can come away with a decent looking bonsai fairly
soon.
Another reason to share your general location is that we
can often recommend a nearby bonsai club and/or vendor where you
can get local advice, experience and ideas.
Alan Walker

What would be a good tree to start off with? I want to grow a
bonsai tree but I need to choose a tree that would be good for
some one really inexperienced.
- Davis

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 24-08-2004, 05:22 AM
Lynn Boyd

Subject: [IBC] begginer in need of help

what would be a good tree to start off with ? i want to grow a bonsai
tree but i need to choose a tree that would be good for some one really
inexpeirenced.

- Davis

--------------------

You will probably get many replies, and you have choices among them.
I will just begin by asking you where you live - have you checked to see
what growing Zone you are in? - Most bonsai are outdoor trees, but an
answer will require that we know if you have a place that will protect the
tree from an upcoming winter elements, or if it Must be indoors.
So, send us some information, Davis. Look up your planting/growing
zone, or let us know where you live.
Please go to the home page on our website and checkout the FAQ and
other files that will have information you will want to be able to refer to
easily probably many times during your new experiences.
If you have not already checked out our forums, take a look, they
cover many levels of experience including the pre-bonsai state, potensia.
But let us hear from you again. And welcome to a great
addiction!!
Pleased to have you among us.

Lynn

Lynn Boyd, Zone 7-8, Oregon, USA

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 24-08-2004, 01:13 PM
Iris Cohen

i want to grow a bonsai tree but i need to choose a tree that would be good
for some one really
inexpeirenced.

Good for you for asking the right question first. Do you want an indoor tree or
an outdoor tree? By indoor, that means one that will grow outdoors during the
summer and indoors only when the weather gets close to freezing. The best type
for that is a Ficus (except for edible fig). Choose one at a nursery that sells
houseplants. If you want an outdoor tree, start with a juniper, but this means
it stays outside all the time, except for a day or two on display. It is kept
in a cold but more sheltered location in the winter.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)
Old 31-08-2004, 04:58 AM
wardo

I certainly agree with the juniper suggestion, but in many parts
of the world, Firethorn (Pyracantha) are too disease-prone for a
beginner.

Chinese elm (outdoors and -- with care -- indoors), Ficus
(indoors), privet (outdoors and with a bit more care, indoors),
boxwood (outdoors), juniper (outdoors), bougainvillea (outdoors
whenever possible, indoors in winter), are all likely
candidates for a beginning bonsaiest.

Guys,

I would agree with all of the above except for the Juniper. I started
out with a juniper and ended up killing it (killed 2 actually). The
privet would be my suggestion.

--
wardo
wardo's Profile: http://forum.bonsaitalk.com/member.p...fo&userid=3037

Old 31-08-2004, 07:07 AM
Theo

Dwarf Punica granatum is the very best for beginners
reacts very well at trimming at repotting at flowering the leaves are
nice and bear red flowers and fruits.. and with age ,as said in
Nakas's book the trunks TWISTS ... gracefully ..
it fears brisk cold so dependong where you live you need a green
gouse but when the plant has lost all leaves you can just put it in a
shade fresh -cold place but you need to keep the soil moist during its
dormancy that's all
it changes with seasons and this is a great enjoment

wardo wrote:

[...]

MSN messanger / or ICQ 25 666 169 4
Private Mail :

begginer question Kirby Johnson Bonsai 12 21-12-2004 02:17 PM
begginer question Kirby Johnson Bonsai 0 20-12-2004 03:11 PM
[IBC] begginer in need of help Shaun Ludwig Bonsai 8 25-08-2004 02:26 PM
[IBC] Begginer with some questions! Jerry Meislik Bonsai 3 10-06-2003 03:56 PM
Begginer with some questions! AdamA Bonsai 0 10-06-2003 02:56 AM