Old 24-08-2004, 07:52 AM
Charlie Pridham

"Victoria Clare" wrote in message
.217...
In my garden is what was clearly once a small, 'architectural' plant .

It's now a vast, pointy monster reaching out its spears to impale anyone
coming up the drive. Currently it is covered in weird fruit like small
black bananas.

The time is finally approaching when I shall have to take up my spade and
get rid of the damn thing while we can still get the car past it.

Anyone done this? Any tips? The plant is right next to our calor gas
tank, so I think it will have to be done by hand (fortunately, it is well
clear of the pipes, but it's probably too close to the tank foundations to
risk using a mechanical digger).

If I just cut it down to ground level, will that finish it off, or will it
bounce back? Can you use 'root out' on phormiums ?

Victoria

As you seem to want rid of it the easiest way is piecemeal, I find a sharp
spade and a lump hammer best, using the spade like a large chisel by
knocking it in so as to cut off 6" sized lumps. You have the advantage if
not wanting to keep it of being able to clear the decks so to speak before
you start (cut all the leaves off!) If you want something similar but
smaller, many of the bright coloured leafed clones around are a lot smaller
and slower growing. there are also some quite bright cordylines.

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk