Old 24-08-2004, 09:54 AM
Victoria Clare

"Robert" wrote in
:

: get rid of the damn thing while we can still get the car past it.
:
: Anyone done this? Any tips? The plant is right next to our calor
: gas tank, so I think it will have to be done by hand

Yes I have done it ....and it transferred successfully and is growing
well on the allotments. I dug around the outer edges with a sharp
spade and then gradually eased the thing up, all around the base with
a Devon spade as it has more leverage. With a fair bit of effort it
eventually came up.

What was the surrounding soil like, Robert? Mine is pretty stony and
packed with other plants -I'm not sure how easy it's going to be to get a
spade into it...

Were there big chunky roots or just a mass of little ones?

How far down did you trim the top?

Rod mentioned the North Wales 'removal service'. Maybe I should advertise
big phormium free to good home in the paper. Actually, forget the good
home. Free to home, anyone's except mine....

Victoria
--
gardening on a north-facing hill
in South-East Cornwall