Old 24-08-2004, 10:42 AM
Kay Lancaster

On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 19:26:51 -0700, mulroys wrote:
I'm afraid that my yard is overrun with the things. They are quite
prehistoric, and I actually have a shale fossil of a plant that is very
similar.

I've been pulling them for a year, but if I leave the tiniest bit of root,
they just grow back.

Yup. Perhaps you can arrange to trade yards with the person in the
"sectional grass" thread.

I've tried paraquat, glyphosphate, and 2-4-d. They seem to enjoy it.

Casoron (dichlobenil) is what seems to be used most in the PNW. Haven't
tried it, but I suspect it's also going to need timing in applications,
and repeated applications. Oust is another that's sometimes used; again,
I have no experience with it.

Black plastic will work, but it's ugly as ... mulch won't. I doubt
solarization will help, at least with the deep-rooted species.

Try google for equisetum and control

Kay

http://www.agf.gov.bc.ca/cropprot/hrsetail.htm
http://ipcm.wisc.edu/uw_weeds/extens...nhorsetail.htm