Old 24-08-2004, 03:26 AM
mulroys

Default How to kill horsetails?

I'm afraid that my yard is overrun with the things. They are quite
prehistoric, and I actually have a shale fossil of a plant that is very
similar.

I've been pulling them for a year, but if I leave the tiniest bit of root,
they just grow back.

I've tried paraquat, glyphosphate, and 2-4-d. They seem to enjoy it.

I don't want to use a soil sterilizer, but I'm stumped.

Thank you in advance

Old 24-08-2004, 05:48 AM
Weeble

Dig out the area and replace the dirt is the only thing I can think of.
Personally I'm trying to get some established in a pot in my pond

Shell

Old 24-08-2004, 07:56 AM
Christopher Green

"mulroys" wrote in message ...
I'm afraid that my yard is overrun with the things. They are quite
prehistoric, and I actually have a shale fossil of a plant that is very
similar.

I've been pulling them for a year, but if I leave the tiniest bit of root,
they just grow back.

I've tried paraquat, glyphosphate, and 2-4-d. They seem to enjoy it.

I don't want to use a soil sterilizer, but I'm stumped.

Thank you in advance

You have to admire, even if grudgingly, a plant that is capable of
withstanding everything nature and man have thrown at it since the
Triassic...

If you keep at it long enough, eventually you will starve the last of
the rhizomes. But it takes a lot of patience to outlast something that
prehistoric.

--
Chris Green
Old 24-08-2004, 10:42 AM
Kay Lancaster

On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 19:26:51 -0700, mulroys wrote:
I'm afraid that my yard is overrun with the things. They are quite
prehistoric, and I actually have a shale fossil of a plant that is very
similar.

I've been pulling them for a year, but if I leave the tiniest bit of root,
they just grow back.

Yup. Perhaps you can arrange to trade yards with the person in the
"sectional grass" thread.

I've tried paraquat, glyphosphate, and 2-4-d. They seem to enjoy it.

Casoron (dichlobenil) is what seems to be used most in the PNW. Haven't
tried it, but I suspect it's also going to need timing in applications,
and repeated applications. Oust is another that's sometimes used; again,
I have no experience with it.

Black plastic will work, but it's ugly as ... mulch won't. I doubt
solarization will help, at least with the deep-rooted species.

Try google for equisetum and control

Kay

http://www.agf.gov.bc.ca/cropprot/hrsetail.htm
http://ipcm.wisc.edu/uw_weeds/extens...nhorsetail.htm
Old 24-08-2004, 01:09 PM
Roy

wrote:

===I'm afraid that my yard is overrun with the things. They are quite
===prehistoric, and I actually have a shale fossil of a plant that is very
===similar.
===
===I've been pulling them for a year, but if I leave the tiniest bit of root,
===they just grow back.
===
===I've tried paraquat, glyphosphate, and 2-4-d. They seem to enjoy it.
===
===I don't want to use a soil sterilizer, but I'm stumped.
===
===Thank you in advance
===

Take advantage of having it and dig it and pot it and sell it on ebay
to the pond entuhusiasts. We had been looking for some all summer
long but all the sotres that carry it were sold out in early
spring.Very popular with ponders.......
I had no input whatsoever.
Remove "nospam" from email addy.

Old 24-08-2004, 01:35 PM
madgardener

"mulroys" wrote in message
I'm afraid that my yard is overrun with the things. They are quite
prehistoric, and I actually have a shale fossil of a plant that is very
similar.

I've been pulling them for a year, but if I leave the tiniest bit of root,
they just grow back.

I've tried paraquat, glyphosphate, and 2-4-d. They seem to enjoy it.

I don't want to use a soil sterilizer, but I'm stumped.

Thank you in advance

I have to agree with everyone who has replied to you on this one. I had no
idea what I had dug up from my neighbor's yard next door and brought with me
over here to Eastern Tennessee. I planted it with the other perennials at
the rental house in White Pine and when we found this place in 1995 and
bought it, I moved all the perennials here. The horsetail I planted UNDER A
LEAKING GUTTER SPOUT.........................oh lord, it had behaved at the
rental house because it was in clay soil. I moved all the worm soil in bags
along with the perennials, and once we tilled up the front sliver of yard
for the holding bed, I would have done the same if I'd fed it Miracle Gro.
Rich, loose soil, endless deluges of rainwater. It was in horsetail heaven.
I discovered it's tenacity and evilness of intent of establishing that very
year in a gardening book. I was appalled. I went out and dug it up. I
thought. Next spring, I am standing looking at the emerging constipated
flowerbeds of my new house and see seven feet away from where I have planted
it, very happy and TALL horsetail. I look at the spot where it used to be
under the downspout and see little shoots. I dig it up. I place a board in
the raised bed of rich soil to keep from compacting it, and dig up six, SIX
clumps of horsetail and send them flying over the fence into the pasture.
(they died by not being planted, I checked later to see).

That was nine years ago. Every year I spot another tentative shoot of it
poking out of the immediate region of that eastern flowerbed. I carefully
pull it, trying to get as much root as I can. I'm weakening the root by
removing the stems. And it is neat looking. Last year's plug I potted up and
sunk into the BBQ pit/fountain for a pond plant. It loves it there. And it
can't spread because it's in a pot in that spot. And this year I pulled up
another clump of it near where the original was. The only thing worse than
this horsetail for reemerging is the trumpet vine I brought from Mary Emma's
that I have planted at the mercury light pole at the edge and entrance to
the western yard and it's either germinating seeds from the pods I didn't
snip off, or the shoots are that spreading and far reaching and are popping
up in the flowerbed. I know pulling it isn't removing it. It's woodier
than the horsetail. And where the second vine used to reside against a half
dead maple, I am still pulling shoots and whole vines of it out of three
spots, including the one that germinated from a seed under the small
boardwalk that leads to the den and nook. I realize until I poison it
completely (risking my other treasured perennials in the NSSG, not so secret
garden) I will be forever pulling the shoots up.

You will NEVER remove the horsetail. Using RoundUp and gods forbid,
paraquat?? just pull it after a soaking rain and you'll weaken the root
system and eventually you'll see less shoots of it. No telling what you're
doing to surrounding enviroments with all this stuff. Including the ground
water. It HAS survived since dinosaurs. So it will be here long after
we've moved on...............
madgardener

Humankind has not woven the web of life.

We are but one thread within it.
Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves.
All things are bound together.
All things connect." Chief Seattle

Old 24-08-2004, 04:08 PM
QuintanaCanRoll

glyphosate works, you just have to aplly is a few times and use a higher
concentration.

Toad

Old 26-08-2004, 03:22 AM
Paul Below

On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 08:35:32 -0400, "madgardener"
wrote:

That was nine years ago. Every year I spot another tentative shoot of it
poking out of the immediate region of that eastern flowerbed. I carefully
pull it, trying to get as much root as I can

To the original poster, sell the place and move away. Either that, or
maybe nuclear weapons, but somehow I think the horsetail would even
survive that.

Old 26-08-2004, 04:14 AM
mulroys

We already tried the nukes. My boys like their new blond hair.

I can't decide weather to just learn to like the things, or plant a bunch
of mint and then film next summer's hit monster movie.

"Horstail vs. Mint."

-In the garden no one can hear you curse...

Old 26-08-2004, 08:59 PM
Christopher Green

Salty Thumb wrote in message news:ZikXc.2153$Cc.1690@trnddc07...
(Christopher Green) wrote in
om:

You have to admire, even if grudgingly, a plant that is capable of
withstanding everything nature and man have thrown at it since the
Triassic...

Horsetails have been around since the Devonian if not earlier which means
they also survived whatever cause the Permian extinctions. However, it's
possible they can be displaced by other more advanced plants given the
right environmental conditions, though this may require a herbivore that
mows them down repeatedly..

The class Sphenopsida does go back to the Devonian, and the order
Equisetales was the only order of sphenopsids to survive the Permian
extinction. If the extinct genus Equisetites is really the same as
modern Equisetum, as some think, then Equisetum goes back to the
Carboniferous, survived the Permian extinction, and is the oldest
living genus of vascular plants.

Problem with grazing them is they're poisonous (especially to horses,
but also to other livestock). Equisetosis is a common ailment when
animals are pastured on horsetail-infested fields.

Other than that, have you tried harnessing the most destructive force known
to man: a group of pre-school kids? Perhaps a game of "pin the horsetail
on the dustbin modified to look like a donkey" is in order.

Paid a penny bounty on snails once. A hundred dollars didn't put a
dent in the snail population.

Grazing or letting kids pillage it won't do any good with horsetail
anyway, because it comes back from rhizomes that can run as deep as
six feet.

Dichlobenil (Casoron) is the rancher's poison of choice for horsetail.
It just snickers at gardeners armed with glyphosate (Roundup,
Kleenup).

--
Chris Green