Old 24-08-2004, 03:20 PM
Michel Buonarroti

"Sheila" wrote in message

zxcvbob wrote:

Sheila wrote:

We have a pasture with patches of coastal bermuda. We have sold our
current house and will be building there. The problem is that the
ground is quite bumpy and will need to be smoothed out. We would like
to plant coastal bermuda, but I've been told that you can't just

spread
coastal bermuda, that it has to be actually planted in the ground. In
researching this, I haven't been able to verify whether this is true

or
not. I know that we just seeded the common bermuda that we have in

our
current yard.

Does anyone know that answer to this?

Thanks

Coastal bermuda does not set viable seeds, so it is common sprigged
rather than seeded. I don't even know if it is possible to seed it.
Some of the other hybrids, like Tifton, do set a very small number of
viable seeds.

Bob

Thanks, do you like Tifton better than common bermuda?

There are many "Tifton" varieties such as Tifway 419, TifDwarf, TifSport,
TifEagle, etc. AFAIK, none of them produce any useful amount of viable
seeds. You could ask Jim Sutton at Georgia Seed Development Commission or
Earl Eisner (he's the fellow that bred the stuff). They are in Athens, GA
at 706-542-2351.