Old 23-08-2004, 10:11 PM
Sheila

Default Coastal Bermuda Grass

We have a pasture with patches of coastal bermuda. We have sold our
current house and will be building there. The problem is that the
ground is quite bumpy and will need to be smoothed out. We would like
to plant coastal bermuda, but I've been told that you can't just spread
coastal bermuda, that it has to be actually planted in the ground. In
researching this, I haven't been able to verify whether this is true or
not. I know that we just seeded the common bermuda that we have in our
current yard.

Does anyone know that answer to this?

Thanks
Old 23-08-2004, 10:35 PM
Stella Liebeck

Sheila wrote:
We have a pasture with patches of coastal bermuda. We have sold our
current house and will be building there. The problem is that the
ground is quite bumpy and will need to be smoothed out. We would like
to plant coastal bermuda, but I've been told that you can't just spread
coastal bermuda, that it has to be actually planted in the ground. In
researching this, I haven't been able to verify whether this is true or
not. I know that we just seeded the common bermuda that we have in our
current yard.

Does anyone know that answer to this?

Thanks

Some varieties of bermuda will reproduce from seed, but most hybrid
varities are seed sterile and must be propagated from sprigs. Where do
you live? If you are in the south seeded varieties will usually work.
Most cold-hardy types, however, are vegetative/

Old 23-08-2004, 10:42 PM
zxcvbob

Sheila wrote:

We have a pasture with patches of coastal bermuda. We have sold our
current house and will be building there. The problem is that the
ground is quite bumpy and will need to be smoothed out. We would like
to plant coastal bermuda, but I've been told that you can't just spread
coastal bermuda, that it has to be actually planted in the ground. In
researching this, I haven't been able to verify whether this is true or
not. I know that we just seeded the common bermuda that we have in our
current yard.

Does anyone know that answer to this?

Thanks

Coastal bermuda does not set viable seeds, so it is common sprigged
rather than seeded. I don't even know if it is possible to seed it.
Some of the other hybrids, like Tifton, do set a very small number of
viable seeds.

Bob
Old 23-08-2004, 10:47 PM
Sheila

Some varieties of bermuda will reproduce from seed, but most hybrid
varities are seed sterile and must be propagated from sprigs. Where do
you live? If you are in the south seeded varieties will usually work.
Most cold-hardy types, however, are vegetative/

Common bermuda seeded fine for us, but it won't grow in the shade.
We're in the south and coastal bermuda in our pasture seems grow in the
shade at the edge of the woods.
Old 23-08-2004, 10:48 PM
Sheila

zxcvbob wrote:

Sheila wrote:

[...]

Thanks, do you like Tifton better than common bermuda?

Old 23-08-2004, 11:01 PM
zxcvbob

Sheila wrote:

zxcvbob wrote:

Sheila wrote:

[...]

I've only heard of Tifton; I live in Minnesota now and bermuda doesn't
grow up here.

Bob
Old 24-08-2004, 03:20 PM
Michel Buonarroti

"Sheila" wrote in message

zxcvbob wrote:

Sheila wrote:

[...]

There are many "Tifton" varieties such as Tifway 419, TifDwarf, TifSport,
TifEagle, etc. AFAIK, none of them produce any useful amount of viable
seeds. You could ask Jim Sutton at Georgia Seed Development Commission or
Earl Eisner (he's the fellow that bred the stuff). They are in Athens, GA
at 706-542-2351.

Old 24-08-2004, 08:20 PM
Sheila

Thanks,

I think we'll plant common bermuda, we did here and it does a pretty
good job. It just won't grow in the shade.

[IMG] code is On

Zoysia vs Bermuda grass Clem Gardening 2 06-06-2003 06:32 PM
Eliminating Bermuda Grass Chris Haney North Carolina 2 01-05-2003 05:46 PM
Bermuda Grass Bob Texas 0 05-04-2003 11:09 AM
Bermuda grass question Gene S Texas 7 05-04-2003 11:08 AM
Eliminating Bermuda Grass Chris Haney North Carolina 2 17-02-2003 07:56 PM