Old 24-08-2004, 06:53 PM
Bill R

I have several dahlia tubers that I never planted this
season (ran out of space). They are still sitting in a box
of wood chips, sprouted but looking a bit sad and withered.
Would they still be viable tubers for next year if I just
planted them in pots now? I wouldn't expect them to
flower...but if I could save them for next season, what
would be the best way to go about this?
Fertilize the soil as usual ? or just plant and let the
tubers plump up and grow through the fall. Any advice would
be appreciated. Thanks!

You need to plant them NOW and hope that they are still good
and that they have enough time to get enough green growth
that will generate a new tuber for next year. It they
develop buds (and they might toward the end of October
depending on the variety), cut them off as soon as you see
them. This will assist the plant in developing new tubers.
--
Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)

Digital Camera: HP PhotoSmart 850

For pictures of my garden flowers visit