Old 24-08-2004, 06:50 PM
Robert

Victoria Clare wrote:
: "Robert" wrote in
: :
:
::
::: get rid of the damn thing while we can still get the car past it.
:::
::: Anyone done this? Any tips? The plant is right next to our calor
::: gas tank, so I think it will have to be done by hand
::
:: Yes I have done it ....and it transferred successfully and is growing
:: well on the allotments. I dug around the outer edges with a sharp
:: spade and then gradually eased the thing up, all around the base with
:: a Devon spade as it has more leverage. With a fair bit of effort it
:: eventually came up.
:
:
: What was the surrounding soil like, Robert? Mine is pretty stony and
: packed with other plants -I'm not sure how easy it's going to be to
: get a spade into it...
:
: Were there big chunky roots or just a mass of little ones?
:
: How far down did you trim the top?
:
: Victoria
: --
: gardening on a north-facing hill
: in South-East Cornwall

They are a mass of smallish roots similar in size to rose roots but not as
tough. My soil was quite light where it was. You can trim the top of any
bits you want to root, to say .. a foot. I wouldn't trim it first as you
want something to get hold of