Old 25-08-2004, 12:30 AM
Doug.

"Alan Gould" wrote in message
In article , KK

.
freeserve.co.uk writes
Hello,

Can anyone tell me why some of my Tomatoes have tough skins?

I grow my Toms in a small greenhouse in the sunniest part of the

garden, in
the largest tubs I can buy. I water, feed, ventilate etc as best I

can, but
still a few of my Tomatoes have skins so tough that they could be

used to
protect a Challenger tank !!

Varieties - This year Moneymaker & Alicante, though I've had the

same
problem before with others.

What am I doing wrong ?? All advice welcome

Moneymaker are just what their name suggest, a tomato for commercial
growers. They have been especially bred with tough skins to make the

job
of handling and packing them easier, and to withstand display and
customer prodding in supermarkets.

Alicante should not have tough skins though, they are a very popular
variety with recreational gardeners. If you know which plants are

which,
check whether yours are as tough as the Moneymakers.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.

******
Well, now!,- if I don't go to the foot of our stairs!.
I always thought homegrown were best, especially in taste. I plant one
or two of each, of Money Maker, Alicante and Golden Delicious, and for a
few years, Shirley, which outclasses them all for fruiting, size and
taste. All have excelled themselves
as to growth and productivity: however, that said, this year the taste
of all of them is very disappointing despite my this year's renewing of
their raised beds with
well mixed compost of balanced materials, plus excellent weather and
heat. The skins seem to be alright though, I haven't noticed any
difference in toughness in that respect.
As mentioned in another post, this year I didn't use any diluted *tank*
which I learned from my Dad. It's sheepsh, (his word, not mine.)
collected from the nearby fields' That is, a few dollops of sheepsh in
a Hessian bag in a bucket of water in late Spring and diluted
to a pale straw colour when fed to the roots area when the plants are in
full fruit stage, just as they start ripening.
The taste of Golden delicious tomatoes has disappointed for a few years
now. Shan't grow them next year.
Doug.
******