Old 25-08-2004, 12:41 PM
Doug.

"Bob Black" wrote in message
I'm trying to grow some bindweed for the purposes of
laying an ardivulent trestle or trellis structure.
Any (sensible) suggestions as to how I might achieve this?

I have a rather small garden so a convactulated approach will
probably be required.

I know it's a very borderline plant in the UK, because it needs hot
summers to ripen its wood for the winter, and does not like
waterlogging but I can 'foster' this situation for now at least.

Thanks, Bob

********
Now listen - Bob!. You sit down with a nice cuppa tea and take your
punishment like a man.
How dare you mention the dread word, er, .... "Conv...." - No! I can't
bring myself to say it!
One half of an inch of a root of that terrible (and poisonous flowers)
weed will invade your garden like an underground spiders web but thicker
and much more rampant, with a six inches deep weed-root net under your
soil.
For years I have battled the stuff invading my north side hedge from the
Neighbours from Hell thugs next door where the grass and weeds are
half-way up the windows, - and it is even showing itself across the lawn
and on the wall of the south side now. That's about fifteen paces
distance.
Recant at once!. Don sack-cloth and ashes, and to be on the safe side
tell your beads, and promise you won't defile your plot - and this
staid Newsgroup with heresy ever again.
Now- That's thee tellt off!.
To cover my six-foot high fence against the scum's foul language I have
two climbing plants in full bloom at the top, each with a second year
spread of twelve yards.
I can't find it in the Book but its name is Vitalba and I think it
belongs in the climbing Clematis class of plants. It is in full flower
at the moment. They are in small 'racemes' shape, each with its own
spread of small white flowers. It keeps its roots to itself.
Wouldn't recommend it - Too rampant, it's taken over and is masking my
other large flowered clematis.
BTW, 1. Wot's 'Ardivalent' and 'Convactulated'? - not in the N.Ox.
English Dict.
2. How are the P.Thistles coming along these days?. Scored
any goals last Season?.
Cheers!.
Doug.
********