Old 25-08-2004, 04:32 PM
jane

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 13:36:55 +0100, Sacha
wrote:

~On 25/8/04 11:48 am, in article
, "Steve Dufour"
wrote:
~
~snip
~ They have colorful names such as Red Brandywine, Eva Purple Ball,
~ and Mortgage Lifter. Unlike the hybrid red, round tomatoes that are
~ the mainstays at most supermarkets, heirlooms are softer because they
~ have thinner, more fragile skins. They come in different colors and
~ shapes and are not necessarily pleasing to the eye. They may only last
~ three or four days.
~snip
~
~I don't know what's happened to the company but Totally Tomatoes had many
~heritage tomatoes in their catalogue - from America, Russia, Poland,
~England. I tried to find their catalogue this year (they had an address in
~Newton Abbot) but they seem to have disappeared from sight altogether.
~--

Nice to see the Americans are finally rebelling against tasteless
tomatoes! Least we've a few years' head start there, perhaps their
folk should have a quiet word with the HDRA... or Thomas Etty.

--
jane

Mark Twain