Old 25-08-2004, 05:20 PM
Michael Persiano

Andrew writes:

Hi everyone,

Just currently in the process of reading a book on Bonsai (Koreshoff) and
have seen a mention or 2 of Lime Sulphur.
I understand it's uses in general but when it comes to bonsai I don't fully
understand.
1) If I were to wound a tree by carving it and apply LS is it true that it
will stop disease and stop the wound eventually filling in/healing over, so
as to keep that look.
If so what rate approx should I apply it, and how often?
2) When applying it to jin, does it create/keep the wood looking old?
Any other uses apart from fungal problems when it comes to Lime Sulphur and
Bonsai

Andrew:

Young wood, trees under 20 years of age, are all susceptible to decay. Extremely old trees with extremely compressed growth rings, are less likely to succumb to decay.

With this said, lime sulfur is not an elixir when it comes to preventing rot and fungal disease. It does help.

Lime sulfur is more a cosmetic when applied to carved wood than a powerful fungal remedy. While it does help to protect the wood, I would suggest the following:

1. Carve as desired or required.
2. Refine the carved area with a sanding wheel.
3. After allowing the wood to dry out, apply lime sulfur for cosmetic purposes. On extremely old material, it is a good idea to add Sumi ink to create the silvery look of aged wood.
4. After the lime sulfur dries, apply Minwax Wood Hardener to protect the exposed area.

Cordially,

Michael Persiano
members.aol.com/iasnob

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++