Old 25-08-2004, 11:08 AM
Billy M. Rhodes

Default [IBC] Use of Lime Sulphur

In a message dated 8/25/2004 5:57:14 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
writes:

1) If I were to wound a tree by carving it and apply LS is it true that it
will stop disease and stop the wound eventually filling in/healing over, so
as to keep that look.

Lime sulfur is an old insecticide/fungicide for horticultural use.
However, its main use in Bonsai is to highlight certain features of a tree.
There are better fungicides/insecticides out there now. It will stop some insects
and disease. I don't know about stopping the wound from healing over, but I
don't know why it would.

If so what rate approx should I apply it, and how often?
2) When applying it to jin, does it create/keep the wood looking old?
Any other uses apart from fungal problems when it comes to Lime Sulfur and
Bonsai

Lime sulfur doesn't stop decay in all wood, there are also better
products for that. We use Minwax wood hardener for that. We use LS first to get
the white highlight if desired and then the Minwax product.

LS is usually applied when the effect wears off and always just a few
days before showing a tree. I usually just paint it on as it comes from the
bottle using a "parts brush." (10 cents US at Flea Markets)
Billy on the Florida Space Coast

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 25-08-2004, 05:20 PM
Michael Persiano

Andrew writes:

Hi everyone,

Just currently in the process of reading a book on Bonsai (Koreshoff) and
have seen a mention or 2 of Lime Sulphur.
I understand it's uses in general but when it comes to bonsai I don't fully
understand.
1) If I were to wound a tree by carving it and apply LS is it true that it
will stop disease and stop the wound eventually filling in/healing over, so
as to keep that look.
If so what rate approx should I apply it, and how often?
2) When applying it to jin, does it create/keep the wood looking old?
Any other uses apart from fungal problems when it comes to Lime Sulphur and
Bonsai

Andrew:

Young wood, trees under 20 years of age, are all susceptible to decay. Extremely old trees with extremely compressed growth rings, are less likely to succumb to decay.

With this said, lime sulfur is not an elixir when it comes to preventing rot and fungal disease. It does help.

Lime sulfur is more a cosmetic when applied to carved wood than a powerful fungal remedy. While it does help to protect the wood, I would suggest the following:

1. Carve as desired or required.
2. Refine the carved area with a sanding wheel.
3. After allowing the wood to dry out, apply lime sulfur for cosmetic purposes. On extremely old material, it is a good idea to add Sumi ink to create the silvery look of aged wood.
4. After the lime sulfur dries, apply Minwax Wood Hardener to protect the exposed area.

Cordially,

Michael Persiano
members.aol.com/iasnob

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 28-08-2004, 01:35 PM
Andrew G

"Michael Persiano" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks very much for your and everyones help.
Cheers
Andrew

Mid North Coast
New South Wales
Australia

****

****

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

[IBC] Lime Sulphur Application Martha Fifield Bonsai 2 03-08-2005 12:28 PM
Use of Lime Sulphur Andrew G Bonsai 2 25-08-2004 11:34 AM
Use of Lime Sulphur Andrew G Bonsai 0 25-08-2004 10:58 AM
Use of Sulphur David Hill United Kingdom 33 03-02-2004 12:32 AM
[IBC] Lime Sulphur Billy M. Rhodes Bonsai 2 29-03-2003 12:44 PM