Old 25-08-2004, 11:40 PM
Max Wright

In message , Mike Lyle
writes

I've never got round to growing claytonia (aka "miner's lettuce", I
believe, because it will grow on the kind of soil often found round
coal-pits). Is it worth it?

I tried it for the first time last winter and am growing it again this
year. It's quite an interesting-looking little plant, and once it gets
going (in my limited experience, in early spring, but maybe I should
have sowed it in early rather than late August) it's quite productive -
I was gathering leaves and flower stalks from March to May and only took
it out then because I needed the space. It's also called winter
purslane and that's really what it's most like to eat. Supposedly very
shade tolerant too, but I haven't tested that.

--
Max Wright
www.wys-systems.demon.co.uk/plotcrop