Old 26-08-2004, 12:39 PM
Ford Prefect

On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 22:43:12 +0100, Kay
wrote:

In article , Lee Davison lee.j.davi
writes
Hi,
I dont know if this is the correct forum but reading around theres plenty of
experience on here so someone might be able to advise.
I purchase about 2 weeks ago one of those carnivorous plants - a "sarracenia
hybride" according to the label. It was fine on my window cill until I
noticed the edges of the leaves turning brown. I left it on the bathroom
where it is more humid and it seemed to perk up. Now its back at the dying
stage. If I explain what it looks like can someone suggest a cu

The centre of the plant looks reasonably well and theres a new shoot coming
dead centre. Outwards from there it starts to die off, theres about a dozen
leaves which have gone light brown / whitey in colour, and theres several
more where the tips are turning brown, drying out and curling over and feel
crusty to the touch.
I water it every 2 days, Ive not changed anything since I bought it and
theres definately no bugs on it.

If you're watering it every two days, then it isn't damp enough. This is
a bog plant. Stand the pot in another dish which you keep water 1 inch
deep.

And use rain water unless your tap water is very soft.

Surely soft tap water still isn't good for CP's the waters got to be
on the acid side (I'm not a chemist just a grower), I've heard of
people growing in distilled water but the plants are nowhere near as
healthy as ones grown in rain water, checkout
http://www.sarracenia.com/faq.html it's the International Carnivorous
Plant Society FAQ page loads of useful info.
Ford.