Old 26-08-2004, 02:18 PM
Sue

Blanching used to be thought to help keep the colour of eg runner beans and
also to provide a degree of sterilising.

I have tried freezing beans with and without blanching and have noticed very
little difference in resulting besan.
It is a lot of trouble too and if you don't dry them off after blanching
they will freeze welded together!

Sue

"Broadback" wrote in message
Ok, I accept that I am not the sharpest tool in the box, so what does
blanch for 1 minute actually mean?

1)Plunge the subject into boiling water then leave for 1 minute
2)Plunge into boiling water with heat on high, leave for 1 minute
3)Plunge into boiling water, bring back to boil and boil for 1 minute

---