Old 25-08-2004, 04:56 PM
Broadback

Default Blanch for 1 min-explanation please

Ok, I accept that I am not the sharpest tool in the box, so what does
blanch for 1 minute actually mean?

1)Plunge the subject into boiling water then leave for 1 minute
2)Plunge into boiling water with heat on high, leave for 1 minute
3)Plunge into boiling water, bring back to boil and boil for 1 minute

Love to know.
TIA

--
Please do not reply by Email, as all
emails to this address are automatically deleted.
Old 25-08-2004, 05:19 PM
Emrys Davies

Hopefully this very explicit s site will help you.

http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles/kovach59.html

Regards,
Emrys Davies

Old 25-08-2004, 10:48 PM
Tumbleweed

"Broadback" wrote in message
Ok, I accept that I am not the sharpest tool in the box, so what does
blanch for 1 minute actually mean?

1)Plunge the subject into boiling water then leave for 1 minute
2)Plunge into boiling water with heat on high, leave for 1 minute
3)Plunge into boiling water, bring back to boil and boil for 1 minute

(1) or (2)* plus, then chill with cold water.

* really wont make a difference. FWIW many people are now saying blanching
is a waste of time anyway :-)
--
Tumbleweed

tumbleweednews at hotmail dot com

Old 26-08-2004, 12:39 AM
Rodger Whitlock

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 16:56:10 +0100, Broadback wrote:

Ok, I accept that I am not the sharpest tool in the box, so what does
blanch for 1 minute actually mean?

1)Plunge the subject into boiling water then leave for 1 minute
2)Plunge into boiling water with heat on high, leave for 1 minute

I doubt there's any significant difference between these two.
Both have the result that the veggies are in contact with boiling
or near-boiling water for a minute and thereby deactivate various
enzymes that would otherwise cause a loss of quality in storage.

3)Plunge into boiling water, bring back to boil and boil for 1 minute

This might be overdoing it a little.

The "one minute" time is really just a customary figure that's
been found by experience to work well enough. if anyone had done
scientific experiments, we'd be reading "for one minute and
twenty-three point seven seconds."

Likewise, the "boiling" is based on experience and is a
temperature easy to recognize without a thermometer. Scientific
studies might yield results like "broccoli, 83.2C".

Might be interesting to see what the cookbooks have to say about
blanching at high altitudes where the boiling point is below
100C.

--
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
Old 26-08-2004, 12:40 AM
Doug.

"Broadback" wrote in message
Ok, I accept that I am not the sharpest tool in the box, so what does
blanch for 1 minute actually mean?

1)Plunge the subject into boiling water then leave for 1 minute
2)Plunge into boiling water with heat on high, leave for 1 minute
3)Plunge into boiling water, bring back to boil and boil for 1 minute

Love to know.
TIA

--
Please do not reply by Email, as all
emails to this address are automatically deleted.

******
"Blanch". - Make or become light pale.. Peel, (by scalding (almonds,
etc.)
Immerse (vegetables etc.) briefly in boiling water. Whiten (a plant) by
depriving it of light.
Doug, - (Courtesy of Oxf. Dict.)
Doug.
******

Old 26-08-2004, 07:11 AM
Cerumen

"Broadback" wrote in message
Ok, I accept that I am not the sharpest tool in the box, so what does
blanch for 1 minute actually mean?

1)Plunge the subject into boiling water then leave for 1 minute
2)Plunge into boiling water with heat on high, leave for 1 minute
3)Plunge into boiling water, bring back to boil and boil for 1 minute

According to a ministry of agriculture food and fisheries booklet ( a very
old one) that I had it meant no.3 it also added that the quantities should
be such that after plunging the veg in the water should get back up to the
boil in a minute.

--

Chris Thomas
West Cork

Old 26-08-2004, 02:18 PM
Sue

Blanching used to be thought to help keep the colour of eg runner beans and
also to provide a degree of sterilising.

I have tried freezing beans with and without blanching and have noticed very
little difference in resulting besan.
It is a lot of trouble too and if you don't dry them off after blanching
they will freeze welded together!

Sue

"Broadback" wrote in message
Ok, I accept that I am not the sharpest tool in the box, so what does
blanch for 1 minute actually mean?

1)Plunge the subject into boiling water then leave for 1 minute
2)Plunge into boiling water with heat on high, leave for 1 minute
3)Plunge into boiling water, bring back to boil and boil for 1 minute

---

Old 26-08-2004, 02:21 PM
Sue

..