Old 26-08-2004, 10:36 PM
PeterBlack PeterBlack is offline
Registered User

Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by lammas
Use Neem oil - it works. As it's not a chemical insecticde they don't die overnight so you need to use it regularly. Drench the compost weekly or fortnightly and they will normally be dead after the second drench. Ditto sciarid fly. A couple more treatments will also wipe out your populations of Chafer grub, Leatherjacket, Wireworm and Vine weevil larvae. Any oil left over spray on foliage; it kills everything except beneficial insects and hard scale insects.
Just to confirm what lammas wrote; it works but dont expect the magic bullet. You need to use it regularly but on the plus side it's totally safe. When I lived in India the gardeners would use it for everything and insects out there are like on steroids! When I moved back to the UK nobody seemed to have heard of it but I've just found it on a site called www.gardenknowledge.co.uk so hope this is of help to anybody reading this post.
Peter Black