Old 26-08-2004, 09:05 PM
Michael Persiano

Kitsune writes:

Interesting quandry: When we are developing trees, we
wnat to get there quickly, but when we get there we
want the trees to go into a growth holding pattern.

I have a Kinsville Box that just sits there. It has
sat there now for about 10-15 years in a 10 gallon
can, super fed underfed, no difference. If its
growing at all, its got me fooled. Some day perhaps,
I will bite the bullet and admit that as a bonsai,
this one will be best at 3 inches.

Kitsune:

I am about the publish an article in Bonsai Europe on the styling of a 50 year old Kingsville. The tree went through a drastic styling (the first) in the spring of 2004. The combination of fast-draining soil and Superfeeding (my method) has resulted in remarkable growth--even for this species that is reputed to grow at 1/8-1/4 inch per year.

We do have the ability to style our trees and produce targeted growth. I will soon place a few photographs on my site. I will point those of you to the site who have interest in this species in the near future.

Kingsville, when motivated, will grow like weeds.

Cordially,

Michael Persiano
members.aol.com/iasnob

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++