Old 27-08-2004, 10:44 AM
Frogleg

On 27 Aug 2004 02:03:34 GMT, (MLEBLANCA) wrote:

Frogleg wrote:

is it possible to ID a type of fig
tree by pictures of tree, leaves, and/or growing fruit, or do I have
to wait 'til October when the fruits is ripe (clue!) to pin this down?
These are growing in SE Virginia, USDA zone 7b.

Sunset Western Garden Book lists 14
cultivars of commonly grown figs. All are varieties of Ficus carica, the edible
fig.
All of these cutlivars are identified by a description of the fruit. So I
think you will have to wait to see the ripe fruit.

Thanks, Emilie. I have (an old version of) the Sunset book, and didn't
think to look there. Also have a new Sunset book for this area of the
country. The figs are gorgeous -- when I cut them into the jam pot,
it's a beautful color scheme of light and dark green with rosy pink
innards. Will be happy to take photos of the ripe 'uns.

I'm not much of a canner/preserver. Dealing with pots of boiling water
and bushels of tomatoes in high summer holds little fascination for
me. But making fig jam is ideal: a pot of fruit burbling on the stove
and sending up fragrant steam is more than welcome on a cool October
morning.