Old 27-08-2004, 10:40 PM
Mike & Karen

Default garden shredders - which type

I have been looking at garden shredders. It looks like there are 2
types. The first (and cheapest) is a bit like a big food processor - a
drum containing a metal disk with a blade (or two) that cuts. The other
(generally a little more expensive) contains a chopper that is closer to
a cylinder mower blade, or a big cog - so it cuts and crushes.

Apart from the fact that the second type is quieter is one type better
than the other? I don't have much to shred - mainly softer stuff like
the tomato plant stalks and other veg stuff - not got many shrubs.

Currently I use my lawn mover (got the idea from Monty's book), but it
is not too happy with the thicker stuff.

Or should I just chop it in to reasonably small bits and hope it will
compost in a reasonable time?

Mike