Old 27-08-2004, 10:40 PM
Mike & Karen

Default garden shredders - which type

I have been looking at garden shredders. It looks like there are 2
types. The first (and cheapest) is a bit like a big food processor - a
drum containing a metal disk with a blade (or two) that cuts. The other
(generally a little more expensive) contains a chopper that is closer to
a cylinder mower blade, or a big cog - so it cuts and crushes.

Apart from the fact that the second type is quieter is one type better
than the other? I don't have much to shred - mainly softer stuff like
the tomato plant stalks and other veg stuff - not got many shrubs.

Currently I use my lawn mover (got the idea from Monty's book), but it
is not too happy with the thicker stuff.

Or should I just chop it in to reasonably small bits and hope it will
compost in a reasonable time?

Mike
Old 28-08-2004, 08:35 AM
Broadback

Mike & Karen wrote:

I have been looking at garden shredders. It looks like there are 2
types. The first (and cheapest) is a bit like a big food processor - a
drum containing a metal disk with a blade (or two) that cuts. The other
(generally a little more expensive) contains a chopper that is closer to
a cylinder mower blade, or a big cog - so it cuts and crushes.

Apart from the fact that the second type is quieter is one type better
than the other? I don't have much to shred - mainly softer stuff like
the tomato plant stalks and other veg stuff - not got many shrubs.

Currently I use my lawn mover (got the idea from Monty's book), but it
is not too happy with the thicker stuff.

Or should I just chop it in to reasonably small bits and hope it will
compost in a reasonable time?

Mike

I have the second type it is my best garden toy. It is quiet, so no
complaints from the neighbours, only jams when I do something stupid,
happily shreds anything that will go through the entrance slot.
Fascinates me when I get a large branch with many off shoots to watch it
drawn in and reduced to, well shreds!

--
Please do not reply by Email, as all
emails to this address are automatically deleted.
Old 28-08-2004, 09:16 AM
Kay

In article , Mike & Karen
writes
I have been looking at garden shredders. It looks like there are 2
types. The first (and cheapest) is a bit like a big food processor - a
drum containing a metal disk with a blade (or two) that cuts. The other
(generally a little more expensive) contains a chopper that is closer to
a cylinder mower blade, or a big cog - so it cuts and crushes.

Apart from the fact that the second type is quieter is one type better
than the other? I don't have much to shred - mainly softer stuff like
the tomato plant stalks and other veg stuff - not got many shrubs.

Currently I use my lawn mover (got the idea from Monty's book), but it
is not too happy with the thicker stuff.

Or should I just chop it in to reasonably small bits and hope it will
compost in a reasonable time?

Definitely!
It takes about as much time to shred as it does to cut the stuff down
the first time, so you're adding a significant job.
I don't grow tomatoes, but potato stalks rot down quite easily - no
point in cutting up. And I wouldn't cut tomato stalks either

Thin twigs from shrubs can be cut into 4-6 inches length, and finger
sized ones to shorter lengths. It won't matter if they are not
completely rotted when you come to use the compost, so what you're after
is not having sticks long enough to get in the way of digging the
compost out.

Btw - many people would not add tomato, potato etc to the heap for fear
of spreading disease - the same would of course go for shredding.

Mike

--
Kay

Old 28-08-2004, 09:32 AM
Robert E A Harvey

Mike & Karen wrote in message ...
I have been looking at garden shredders. ....
Or should I just chop it in to reasonably small bits and hope it will
compost in a reasonable time?

If you google down the group for the various times we have discussed
this you will get the following advice:
1. Cheap ones are underpowered and not much use
2. Mill type ones are great
3. You don't need one.

My solution was to hire one. It only cost me £7 for the day, and at
that price I can hire one for a lot of years instead of buying one,
and I don't have to keep it working! I could have had a diesel
powered one for £15 per day.