Old 30-08-2004, 06:59 AM
adavisus adavisus is offline
Registered User

Location: North Carolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by princerusty
Anyone have experience growing nymphaea mexicana in their pond?
Specifically, does it bloom a lot? ... The most prolific bloomer I have right now is
Chromatella, but I'm interested in other opinions. Thanks, In Advance,
Regards, Princerusty
Mexicana is something of a shy bloomer, I've tried it on a lined pond and seen only one bloom on it all Summer, whilst making a couple of offsets on runners.

Perhaps if it was pushed with fertiliser it may do better, however I prefer lilyponds with stable water quality. On the same pond were Indiana, Rose Arey, Joanne Pring, Dauben ...all steadily plunking blooms up.

Chromatella by contrast is a very reliable bloomer, Mexicana might well be a dissapointment by comparison

Regards, andy
http://www.members.aol.com/abdavisnc/swglist.html