Old 25-08-2004, 10:25 PM
princerusty

Default nymphaea mexicana

Anyone have experience growing nymphaea mexicana in their pond?
Specifically, does it bloom a lot? I live in So. Calif., avocado
growing country, no frost to speak of. I am interested in a hardy or
half hardy lily that blooms *alot*. I am not concerned so much with
color, form, etc..... The most prolific bloomer I have right now is
Chromatella, but I'm interested in other opinions. Thanks, In Advance,
Regards, Princerusty
Old 27-08-2004, 03:52 PM
princerusty

Thanks, Charles, I'm in Ventura Co. too, Where did you buy the plant?
I'd like to give it a try....My pond is 6' x 2', round. Full sun. Had
it for ten years. I have gonnere and a pink lily, but the only one
with enough blooms to bother with is Chromatella, at least in my
experience. Thanks again, regards, Paul
Old 28-08-2004, 06:51 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Colorado - hardy, very prolific, you'll have to divide every year if not in
a good size pot, but that's also why it blooms like crazy. It's kind of a
salmon pink color if I remember right. ~ jan

On 25 Aug 2004 14:25:59 -0700, (princerusty) wrote:

Anyone have experience growing nymphaea mexicana in their pond?
Specifically, does it bloom a lot? I live in So. Calif., avocado
growing country, no frost to speak of. I am interested in a hardy or
half hardy lily that blooms *alot*. I am not concerned so much with
color, form, etc..... The most prolific bloomer I have right now is
Chromatella, but I'm interested in other opinions. Thanks, In Advance,
Regards, Princerusty

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~

Old 30-08-2004, 06:59 AM
Registered User

Location: North Carolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by princerusty
Anyone have experience growing nymphaea mexicana in their pond?
Specifically, does it bloom a lot? ... The most prolific bloomer I have right now is
Chromatella, but I'm interested in other opinions. Thanks, In Advance,
Regards, Princerusty
Mexicana is something of a shy bloomer, I've tried it on a lined pond and seen only one bloom on it all Summer, whilst making a couple of offsets on runners.

Perhaps if it was pushed with fertiliser it may do better, however I prefer lilyponds with stable water quality. On the same pond were Indiana, Rose Arey, Joanne Pring, Dauben ...all steadily plunking blooms up.

Chromatella by contrast is a very reliable bloomer, Mexicana might well be a dissapointment by comparison

Regards, andy
http://www.members.aol.com/abdavisnc/swglist.html

Ambrosia Mexicana Tina Morris United Kingdom 0 02-06-2008 12:34 AM
nymphaea mexicana princerusty Ponds 0 25-08-2004 10:25 PM
Problem - Nymphaea Maculata (red african tiger lotus lily) lynsey Freshwater Aquaria Plants 8 20-04-2003 06:20 AM
Nymphaea bud? LeighMo Freshwater Aquaria Plants 2 20-04-2003 06:15 AM
Nymphaea zenkeri defficiency ? clear rotting stems - light pink leaves LeighMo Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 27-03-2003 02:20 AM