Old 30-08-2004, 05:07 PM
Babberney

On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 22:29:43 GMT, Frogleg wrote:

Around here, we use the term "Crape Murder" for pollarding. That is,
pruning back everything to a few main stubs,

Not exactly. True pollarding is sustainable and, to some people,
attractive. Originally. it was a practice designed to produce an
annual supply of easy-to-reach firewood, I believe.

The common practice applied to crapes is topping, and it's never a
good idea from the standpoint of the tree (any tree). It can be a
good way to turn a tree into a bush, if you're so inclined, but only
if the tree is realatively small and young. Topping a mature tree
will often kill it.

For more info about the International Society of Arboriculture, please visit http://www.isa-arbor.com/home.asp.
For consumer info about tree care, visit http://www.treesaregood.com/