Old 25-08-2004, 05:16 PM
Over40pirate

Default Crape Myrtles

I just purchased 3 types of crape myrtles....Tonto, Dynamite and Tuscarora.
Are any of these the "tree" type or are they all the "V-Shaped" bush type?
Thanks
Old 28-08-2004, 12:28 AM
KCnRichmond

www.clemson.edu/crepermyrtle/varietieschart.htm

Just dont top them... If you want a certain height, get that kind...Crape
Murder...........Opens the tree to all kinds of fungus & disease........

Old 28-08-2004, 12:32 AM
KCnRichmond

Crap..........
www.clemson.edu/crepemyrtle/varietieschart.htm

Old 28-08-2004, 06:23 PM
Mike Prager

Over40pirate wrote:

I just purchased 3 types of crape myrtles....Tonto, Dynamite and Tuscarora.
Are any of these the "tree" type or are they all the "V-Shaped" bush type?
Thanks

Try searching with Google on e.g. crape myrtle dynamite. This
is what I turned up:

http://ecolage.safeshopper.com/166/235.htm?820

includes this:

Lagerstroemia indica 'Dynamite'™
usda plant hardiness zones: 6, 7, 8, 9 . considered root
hardy in zone 5
sunset plant hardiness zones: 7-10, 12-14, 18-21, 25-31
mature height: 15-20'
best known for its: vibrant cherry red summer flowers .
high mildew resistance . distinctive crimson-colored new
growth
plant family + type: lythraceae . deciduous summer
flowering tree
origin: Dr. Carl Whitcomb, Stillwater, Oklahoma . Plant
Patent # 10296 . Whit II
mildew resistance: high
growth habit: upright . multi-trunked . moderate
horizontal branching
flower color: brilliant true red
bark: tan
autumn foliage color: orange
blooming period: summer . autumn
preferences: full sun, well-drained soils, good air
circulation, soil pH: 5.0-6.5
excellent choice for: specimen flowering accent tree .
groves . screens and border plantings
crape myrtle maintenance: avoid over fertilizing; it
reduces flowering . prune only to thin out canopy; improves
light and air circulation . remove sucker growth as necessary

----------

http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/p...ees/crape.html

includes this:

Medium Shrubs - (mature height 5 to 10 feet)
[...]
Tonto - Bright red flowers are produced on this upright,
rounded plant. 'Tonto' has the best red flowers of any of the
disease-resistant hybrids.

-----

I'll leave 'Tuscarora' to you.

MHP

P.S. Good you are asking about sizes. Heights vary widely.
It's no fun to plant the wrong size and have to prune
constantly, and the cuts do provide sites for disease entry.

You probably know, they like strong, direct sun.

Mike Prager
Beaufort, NC (on the coast in zone 8a)
(Remove spam traps from email address to reply.)
Old 28-08-2004, 11:29 PM
Frogleg

On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 23:28:24 GMT, "KCnRichmond"
wrote:

Just dont top them... If you want a certain height, get that kind...Crape
Murder...........Opens the tree to all kinds of fungus & disease........

Around here, we use the term "Crape Murder" for pollarding. That is,
pruning back everything to a few main stubs, which encourages new
growth and bloom at the cut point each year. It makes the trees look
*awful* for half the year, and the constant cutting increases the risk
of disease.

Where Crape Myrtles are "root hardy," and die back each winter, they
will naturally be the bush form. For tree form, trim off all but a few
main stems at the base. I have one 30' tree that's a single trunk up
to about 4', and another 20-25' that's 3 intertwined main 'stems.'
Recently heard you're supposed to leave an odd number to grow, 'though
I have no clue why.
Old 30-08-2004, 05:07 PM
Babberney

On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 22:29:43 GMT, Frogleg wrote:

Around here, we use the term "Crape Murder" for pollarding. That is,
pruning back everything to a few main stubs,

Not exactly. True pollarding is sustainable and, to some people,
attractive. Originally. it was a practice designed to produce an
annual supply of easy-to-reach firewood, I believe.

The common practice applied to crapes is topping, and it's never a
good idea from the standpoint of the tree (any tree). It can be a
good way to turn a tree into a bush, if you're so inclined, but only
if the tree is realatively small and young. Topping a mature tree
will often kill it.

For more info about the International Society of Arboriculture, please visit http://www.isa-arbor.com/home.asp.
For consumer info about tree care, visit http://www.treesaregood.com/