Old 30-08-2004, 06:37 PM
Victoria Clare

"Sam" wrote in :

Out of interest the vines I chose - and I'm only really interested in
wine grapes - were Rondo, Regent, Phoenix, Orion and Bacchus. All are
growing vigorously.

That isn't the problem. Pretty well all varieties of Vitis vinifera
will grow well in the UK. The problem is getting them to crop, and
getting the grapes to ripen.

All the vines I chose are supposed to ripen well in Northern climes -
german breeding origins - and all but Bacchus are supposed to be
disease resistant - another consideration for our soggy climate. As to
whether they actually will ripen well I can't comment until we get our
first crop.

My Dornfelder, planted this spring, has managed one fine big bunch of
grapes. About half of them are a beautiful deep purple already, and the
others are purpling.

One bunch is not much, but leaves me quite hopeful for next year, as the
vine has also grown hugely ( I should probably have removed the flowers
this year to let it concentrate on getting established, but it seems to
have handled that pretty well anyway!)

It is planted against the south wall of my shed, which is painted brilliant
white: I think this has helped.

So far no signs of any bugs or nasties....

Victoria
--
gardening on a north-facing hill
in South-East Cornwall